- Why do you suppose there was such conflict between kings or emperors and the pope during this period of history?
- What were three problems that led to the fall of the Western Empire?
- What was the conflict between popes and kings?
- What main issues caused the struggle between the pope and the German emperors?
- Who is more powerful the king or the Pope?
- What power did the pope have?
- Is the first pope in nearly 1300 years to have what distinction?
- What was the main point of conflict between the Pope and the leaders of the Holy Roman Empire?
- How did the church became so powerful?
- What power did the pope have in medieval times?
- Why did popes and kings argue?
- How did conflict between popes and emperors affect Italy?
- Did the Pope rule the Holy Roman Empire?
- Why did the king seek forgiveness from the Pope?
- How was the conflict between Pope Gregory and Henry resolved?
- Is the pope considered a king?
- What authority did popes have that Kings did not?
- Who might a pope choose to excommunicate?
Why do you suppose there was such conflict between kings or emperors and the pope during this period of history?